FTC Seeks to Examine the Privacy Practices of Broadband Providers
The Federal Trade Commission issued orders to seven U.S. Internet broadband providers and related entitiesseeking information the agency will use to examine how broadband companies collect, retain, use, and disclose information about consumers and their devices.
The orders seek information about the companies’ privacy policies, procedures, and practices. The orders were sent to: AT&T Inc., AT&T Mobility LLC, Comcast Cable Communications doing business as Xfinity, Google Fiber Inc., T-Mobile US Inc., Verizon Communications Inc., and Cellco Partnership doing business as Verizon Wireless.
The FTC is initiating this study to better understand Internet service providers’ privacy practices in light of the evolution of telecommunications companies into vertically integrated platforms that also provide advertising-supported content. Under current law, the FTC has the ability to enforce against unfair and deceptive practices involving Internet service providers.
The FTC is seeking information from the seven companies that includes:
- The categories of personal information collected about consumers or their devices, including the purpose for which the information is collected or used; the techniques for collecting such information; whether the information collected is shared with third parties; internal policies for access to such data; and how long the information is retained;
- Whether the information is aggregated, anonymized or deidentified;
- Copies of the companies’ notices and disclosures to consumers about their data collection practices;
- Whether the companies offer consumers choices about the collection, retention, use and disclosure of personal information, and whether the companies have denied or degraded service to consumers who decline to opt-in to data collection; and
- Procedures and processes for allowing consumers to access, correct, or delete their personal information.
The Commission is authorized to issue the Orders to File a Special Report by Section 6(b) of the FTC Act. The Commission vote to issue the orders was 5-0.
The Federal Trade Commission works to promote competition, and protect and educate consumers. You can learn more about consumer topics and file a consumer complaint online or by calling 1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357). Like the FTC on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, read our blogs, and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources.
Fonte: Federal Trade Commission
Por um novo Zoneamento Ambiental Acústico em Curitiba. Incentivos às inovações tecnológicas para eliminar, reduzir ou isolar ruídos de equipamentos, máquinas, ferramentas, serviços e veículos
nov 28, 2022
Espaço sonoro nas cidades. Do bem ambiental comum ao espaço acústico no ambiente da propriedade privada
nov 24, 2022
Propostas para Secretaria do Meio Ambiente de Curitiba para prevenir e reprimir condutas contrárias à sustentabilidade ambiental acústica em condomínios residenciais
nov 21, 2022